Being Septic Smart
The "Being Septic Smart" webinar teaches property owners the basics about how their septic systems work. This webinar was co-sponsored by the Otter Tail County Land and Resource Department.
Septic systems are designed to last 20-30 years but can last longer depending on use, care, and maintenance. "Being Septic Smart" provides information that enables property owners to maximize their septic investment so their system can function during and beyond its design lifetime, with information that includes:
- How a septic system works
- The purpose of the tank and drain field or mound
- The importance of clean water’s role played by the soil underneath the soil treatment system
- How often the tank should be pumped
- Whether additives are a good idea
- How to prevent winter freeze-ups, and much more
More "Being Septic Smart" resources
- Slide presentation (PDF)
Septic system workshop for realtors and appraisers
The University of Minnesota presents a four-hour course approved for real estate and appraiser continuing education credits approved by the Minnesota Department of Commerce. Attend this septic system workshop to better understand onsite sewage treatment and be prepared to answer questions from home buyers and sellers. For more information about this workshop, please contact our office.